G.1 Help Summary
Here is a summary of the defined help commands.
- C-h a regexp RET
- Display a list of commands whose names match regexp
- C-h b
- Display a table of all key bindings in effect now, in this order: minor
mode bindings, major mode bindings, and global bindings
- C-h c key
- Show the name of the command that key runs
describe-key-briefly). Here c stands for "character."
For more extensive information on key, use C-h k.
- C-h f function RET
- Display documentation on the Lisp function named function
describe-function). Since commands are Lisp functions,
a command name may be used.
- C-h h
- Display the `HELLO' file, which shows examples of various character
- C-h i
- Run Info, the program for browsing documentation files (
The complete Emacs manual is available on-line in Info.
- C-h k key
- Display the name and documentation of the command that key runs
- C-h l
- Display a description of the last 100 characters you typed
- C-h m
- Display documentation of the current major mode (
- C-h n
- Display documentation of Emacs changes, most recent first
- C-h P
- Display info on known problems with Emacs and possible workarounds
- C-h p
- Find packages by topic keyword (
- C-h s
- Display the current contents of the syntax table, plus an explanation of
what they mean (
describe-syntax). See section AD.6 The Syntax Table.
- C-h t
- Enter the Emacs interactive tutorial (
- C-h v var RET
- Display the documentation of the Lisp variable var
- C-h w command RET
- Show which keys run the command named command (
- C-h C coding RET
- Describe coding system coding
- C-h C RET
- Describe the coding systems currently in use.
- C-h I method RET
- Describe an input method (
- C-h L language-env RET
- Display information on the character sets, coding systems, and input
methods used for language environment language-env
- C-h C-c
- Display the copying conditions for GNU Emacs.
- C-h C-d
- Display information about getting new versions of GNU Emacs.
- C-h C-f function RET
- Enter Info and go to the node documenting the Emacs function function
- C-h C-k key
- Enter Info and go to the node where the key sequence key is
- C-h C-p
- Display information about the GNU Project.
- C-h TAB symbol RET
- Display the Info documentation on symbol symbol according to the
programming language you are editing (
This document was generated
on April 2, 2002